Most Popular Stories

Firebirds, Gryphons, Vikings lose in soccer playoff's first round


Telegram Reports

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Rocky Mount High boys’ soccer team was eliminated from the Class 3-A playoffs on Wednesday.

The 25th seeded Gryphons lost to No. 8 Southern Lee, 2-1, on Wednesday in the first round of the postseason. The Gryphons’ road loss was their fourth in the past five games.

RMH (13-7-2) advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 2014, and finished a season with a winning record for the first time in at least 10 seasons. The Gryphons scored 40 more goals this season than in 2018, and allowed 36 fewer goals compared with last year’s squad.

Southern Lee advances to the second round where it will host Greenville Conley on Saturday.

Franklinton 1

Southern Nash 0

The Firebirds couldn’t catch Franklinton and lost in the first round of the playoffs in what was yet another tight game between the two Big East Conference rivals.

Southern Nash, the 19th seed in the 3-A playoffs, lost to the No. 14 Rams for the third time this season. This was the fourth time the teams played each other and, including Wednesday's playoff game, each contest was decided by one goal.

The teams played three times in October, with Franklinton winning the most recent two at the end of the regular season.

Southern Nash was led this season by senior Rubinson Ochoa’s 18 goals, with fellow senior Jared Gonzalez scoring 15.

The Rams advance to the second round where they will play at No. 3 Walter M. Williams.

Research Triangle 5

Tarboro 1

The Vikings scored their lone goal in the second half but couldn’t find the back of the net more than once in an opening-round loss in the Class 1-A playoffs.

No. 21 Tarboro (8-7-1) trailed 2-0 at halftime, and couldn't reel in the Raptors who had entered on a four-game winning streak. The Vikings had won seven of their last eight games entering Wednesday’s road playoff game.

The 12th-seeded Raptors advance and will play on the road in Saturday's second round at No. 5 Manteo, which had a bye in the first round.